Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Mombasa has a place in my heart that I can't describe


Since being back in the states I immediately crave a mandazi and chai tea which tastes undoubtedly better in Kenya than in America. I miss the sounds of kids laughing and singing with me. I long for the feel of a child holding my hand and being all in my personal space because that's how they express their love. I want other opportunities to share the Gospel in the pouring rain on mud roads, slipping and sliding. I won't ever forget the welcome songs and kids chasing after a bus full of missionaries, awaiting for us to get off and screaming, "I want that one, I want that one!" Beyond the disorder of what's going in Kenya, despite that people are struggling to survive, even though there are Muslim attacks, the Lord is among the people of Kenya, especially in Mombasa. 

I asked God to put me in situations that will allow me to get out my comfort zone. Knowing that Jesus intercedes on my behalf, I wanted to have a dependence on the Holy Spirit in a place that was unlike America. God fulfilled all that as He is faithful to do when we ask. I've been arounds bugs and slept with a mosquito net that was as tangible as I could get to God's covering at night lol. With God's guidance, He gave me the words to share when speaking to people about Jesus and the free gift of salvation if they believe Jesus is God and with a repented heart they too could be saved, and have a life forever changed by God. I have an even more enthusiastic heart for teaching one day, and one day to sponsor about five kids through Real 4 Christ Ministries. I've had my eyes opened to how the majority of the world actually lives and what a humbling experience that was. People live in mud huts, no plumbing, no air conditioning. No t.v., no stove, no fridge, no clean water without traveling to the nearest well if there is one. No mattress (or if so, not a new one), no vehicle,  access to the store being 10 minutes away, but God…

I've processed a lot for being in Mombasa for almost two weeks, and something so beautiful to witness was a people who believed in Jesus, that He is their provider, with their whole hearts, they worship and love God, they thank Him for who He is, what He's given them, and they have nothing but joy in their souls. Because when God is literally all you have, He's all you need. Kids and adults alike dance for God without being concerned with who is watching, their mind isn't focused on anyone else. They live out the words they sing, that they are victorious, that God is higher, that satan is the loser, and God is in control. In America, we worship how we feel, not necessarily because we must because that's what we are created to do "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into Hid wonderful light." (1 Peter 2:9 NIV). 

In such a short time I've had the time of my life and have learned a lot. From marriage interests (which can even happen as you're in a moving vehicle, trust me) to laying in my bed weeping, Mombasa has a place in my heart that I can't describe. The people who I've come to know from the kids, the teachers, to the women I've come to call my friends from the hotels I stayed in have shown me how to love more, care more, to have fun without limits, to just keep it moving whatever is going on. Hakuna Matata: it means no worries. And with God you really don't have any.  


No comments:

Post a Comment